Hierarchy Study Poster
This project was a exploration of how typographic variables can be used to clarify content. Through a systematic series of exercises which culminated in a final poster design, I analyzed how these different factors could be used to communicate hierarchy.
Part 1: Type
I started with a typed list of content set in Acumin Regular (24/30). The first set of exercises involved simple typesetting changes: using two different font weights, adding linespaces, adding a single indent, and adding two indents. I created multiple variations for each step of the exercise, trying to focus on what might happen with each new variation rather than what I thought would look the best.
Part 2: Color
In the next step, I selected one of the iterations from the previous exercises and added color. I played around with changing the color of the text itself, as well as adding it to the background to see how both could affect the hierarchy of the content.
Part 3: Scale
I then experimented with changing the scale of various pieces of content, in addition to font weight and position. Again, I tried to focus on experimenting with what a wide range of layouts and scales might achieve, rather than just what I might think would work best.
Part 4: Image
I began incorporating imagery into the previous scale exercises, trying to find photos that captured the feel of my content (in this case, a social justice film series that focused primarily on women & girls).
I also wanted to try incorporating hand-drawn graphics, to try to capture the feel of vibrancy and diversity in the film series.
Part 5: Poster
I decided to continue with one of the sketch ideas, as I felt that it conveyed the tone of the series without falling too much into cliché imagery. I began with a very similar content layout to one of my earlier image-sketch concepts. This worked fairly well with the image, though I did have some trouble playing certain elements so that they would both retain their hierarchy and feel cohesive to the piece as a whole.
After turning in a final print, I decided to go back in and slightly refine some aspects of the type, as well as the overall color of the poster, since I wasn't satisfied with my original "final." I felt that even these small changes helped clarify some aspects my previous design.